Current:Home > MyNevada judge dismisses charges against 6 Republicans who falsely declared Trump the winner in 2020 -Capitatum
Nevada judge dismisses charges against 6 Republicans who falsely declared Trump the winner in 2020
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:31:38
A Nevada state court judge dismissed a criminal indictment Friday against six Republicans accused of submitting certificates to Congress falsely declaring former President Donald Trump the winner of the state's 2020 presidential election, a spokesperson for the Nevada attorney general confirmed to CBS News.
"We disagree with the judge's decision and will be appealing immediately," the spokesperson said.
The judge's ruling potentially kills the case, determining that state prosecutors chose the wrong venue to file.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford stood in a Las Vegas courtroom a moment after Clark County District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus delivered her ruling, declaring that he will take the case directly to the state Supreme Court.
"The judge got it wrong and we'll be appealing immediately," Ford told reporters afterward. He declined any additional comment.
The judge called off trial, which had been scheduled in January, for defendants that included the Nevada GOP chairman and prominent party leaders from the Las Vegas, Reno and Lake Tahoe areas. Each was charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument, felonies that carry penalties of up to four or five years in prison.
Defense attorneys bluntly declared the case dead, saying that to bring the case now to another grand jury in another venue such as the state capital city of Carson City would violate a three-year statute of limitations on filing charges that expired in December.
"They're done," said Margaret McLetchie, attorney for Clark County Republican party chairman Jesse Law, one of the defendants in the case.
The defendants were indicted in December. Among those charged was Nevada GOP chairman Michael McDonald.
"We cannot allow attacks on democracy to go unchallenged," Ford said at the time of the indictment. "Today's indictments are the product of a long and thorough investigation, and as we pursue this prosecution, I am confident that our judicial system will see justice done."
Nevada is one of seven presidential battleground states where slates of fake electors falsely certified that Trump had won in 2020, not President Biden.
Others are Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
Nevada may be a battleground state yet again, and Trump campaigned there earlier this month.
Criminal charges have been brought in Michigan, Georgia and Arizona.
— Robert Legare contributed to this report.
- In:
- Donald Trump
- Nevada
- Election
veryGood! (4581)
Related
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Lyft shares rocket 62% over a typo in the company’s earnings release
- Some Americans Don’t Have the Ability to Flush Their Toilets. A Federal Program Aimed at Helping Solve That Problem Is Expanding.
- Nicki Nicole Seemingly Hints at Peso Pluma Breakup After His Super Bowl Outing With Another Woman
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- New Mexico legislators approve bill to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- 2 suspected gang members arrested after 4 killed in Los Angeles-area shootings
- Here's what Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift said to each other after Super Bowl win
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Russell Simmons accused of raping, harassing former Def Jam executive in new lawsuit
Ranking
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- I felt like I was going to have a heart attack: Michigan woman won $500k from scratcher
- From Super Bowl LVIII to the moon landing, here are TV's most-watched broadcasts
- Love is in the air ... and the mail ... in the northern Colorado city of Loveland
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Gun violence killed them. Now, their voices will lobby Congress to do more using AI
- Katy Perry reveals she is leaving American Idol after upcoming season
- Man with knife suspected of stabbing 2 people at training center is fatally shot by police
Recommendation
Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
Love it or hate-watch it, here's how to see star-studded 'Valentine's Day' movie
Virginia Senate approves bill to allow DACA recipients to become police officers
Some Americans Don’t Have the Ability to Flush Their Toilets. A Federal Program Aimed at Helping Solve That Problem Is Expanding.
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Katy Perry, Orlando Bloom and More Stars Who Got Engaged or Married on Valentine's Day
Disneyland cast members announce plans to form a union
Southern Charm’s Madison LeCroy's Date Night Musts Include a Dior Lip Oil Dupe & BravoCon Fashion